Re: [orca-list] "Quit screen reader" is now an unbound command

Luke Yelavich <themuso ubuntu com> wrote:

I like this idea, however a couple of changes would need to be made to allow
this to work properly: * BrlTTY would have to be extended to run in the user
session, this means looking for configs in the user's home directory, not
BrlAPI socket in a user-specific directory, etc.  * BrlTTY would have to be
loaded as part of the user session, regardless of whether a display is
present or not, and use libudev to register itself to be notified about new
hardware, check the new hardware, and then act accordingly if a display is
connected. An alternative is to write a GNOME settings daemon plugin to do
the udev monitoring side of things, then load BrlTTY when a display is
present, and allow it to take over. The upshot of this is that the GNOME
settings daemon plugin could then twiddle the knobs needed to bring up Orca,
complete with Braille functionality.

Udev rules could launch a process that is meant to be run as a particular
user, but there are extra bits involved with doing that properly, such as
making sure the process has access to the relevant pieces of session
specific metadata set up by logind/consolekit, hense the presence of code
that runs in the user session, and uses libudev to be notified of new
hardware, and then acting accordingly.

As it stands, BRLTTY is now started during the boot process. If it can be
assumed to start prior to the display manager, couldn't one establish a
simpler mechanism: detect whether there is a Brlapi server present (i.e., a
running BRLTTY instance), and if there is, whether it has a display attached?
This way, BRLTTY would run system-wide as usual and the only issue would be to
query it via the Brlapi client library - I haven't looked at whether that's
possible as it's currently implemented.

Of course, that won't help if someone connects a braille display during a
session, thus I suppose it isn't really an adequate solution. It's also
important to remember that BRLTTY should still provide access to console
sessions, which requires root privileges, so I would think you would wish to
avoid running it within a user's session.

As you know, there are already udev rules to invoke it at least in some
distributions.