Re: [orca-list] latex and graphing?

I'd say to also look into Graphviz.  It does with graphics what LateX
does with text.  Anyone ever use it?

Alex M

On 5/10/12, Michael Whapples <mwhapples aim com> wrote:
Hello,
It depends on how you want to make graphing accessible, do you mean for
you drawing or do you mean for you to view?

Starting with how you can view: As this is a list related to Linux, I
will start by mentioning MathTrax available from NASA (sorry don't have
the website to hand but a quick search for MathTrax should find it), if
you download the version they label as being for the Mac, that will work
on Linux. This can either graph a equation or plot a graph from a text
based data file. Another solution although for windows, would be the
audio graphing calculator from ViewPlus (www.viewplus.com). As far as I
know both of these only deal with 2D plots, a 3D plot like a surface
plot I don't know of such a solution (well at least a computer based
solution).

As for you drawing graphs: Well LaTeX might be able to help, there are
loads of packages for LaTeX and some deal with producing graphics and
specific types of diagrams. You may want to look at the wikibooks book
on LaTeX (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX) which has some information
on PGF/TikZ which is a general drawing package but others build on
PGF/TikZ to provide packages specific for drawing certain types of diagram.

Another solution, may be better for what you want, is gnuplot (available
for Linux, your distro probably has a package for it so search your
package manager for gnuplot). This is specific for drawing graphs,
including 3D plots and as memory goes you can get it to plot from an
equation or from a text based data file. There are various front ends
for using gnuplot, I remember using a GTK based one in the past (it did
limit the functionality of gnuplot but for basic stuff did make it
easier to use) and there is also a LaTeX package should you want to use
it from LaTeX.

Of course there are many more tools out there, certainly for drawing, I
have mentioned some which I have used.

I hope this has helped.

Michael Whapples