Re: [orca-list] GNOME Shell Dialogs

Hello, Al.

I hope that this is alright as I am Cc-ing this message to the Orca List as well. I am not sure if you intended to reply to the list as well as to me, but your message only came to me directly (which is no problem at all).

I know that a lot of people use Vinux for accessibility reasons, but I have stuck with Ubuntu for the time being because I have found that it is one of the most accessible distros, and because I am the only blind user here at home.

Ubuntu 12.04, in my opinion, is a very accessible distribution as far as Orca is concerned, and they have kept Orca quite up-to-date. I think that Ubuntu 12.04 started out with Orca version 3.4.0 or 3.4.1, but as of right now my version of Orca (from updates and not from compiling it myself) is at Orca version 3.4.2. I know that you are looking for a GNOME-based distribution, but you can simply run the following commands in Ubuntu 12.04 to install the GNOME Shell desktop as well as the GNOME Fallback (Classic) desktop:

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session-fallback

Ubuntu 12.04 also has a pretty accessible login screen now. I am able to use Orca to switch sessions and login to different user accounts. When on the login screen, you only need to press CTRL+S to get an accessible login screen.

As much as I love Ubuntu and have used it almost exclusively for the past five or so years, I find that Fedora runs much more quickly on my system. I know, as Joanie has mentioned, that work is being done to make the Fedora installer accesible. I think that once this takes place I may switch to Fedora full-time...but I am unsure as to what I will do right now. I have a 100 GB partition freed on my system, allocated for testing purposes I may shrink it, though, as I think that 100 GB may be a bit of overkill.

I would recommend Ubuntu personally, as I had great success with installing it using Orca. I had no need whatsoever to try to even look at my screen during the installation process; I was able to do all that I needed to do using Orca.

And about my statement concerning Fedora running more quickly, that is not to say that Ubuntu runs slow, as its performance is the best that I have ever seen it to this point on my system. I have found that Unity si more responsive than ever, but I still prefer GNOME as my working environment. Once GNOME 3.6 is released, which will include the inverse plugin for its magnifier, I will very likely switch to GNOME Shell full-time. the lack of the inverse feature, which changes the contrast while reading (I.e. I can have white text on a black background) is the only thing which has held me back from using GNOME on a full-time basis. While I am really trying to get away from reliance upon magnification, is is still something which I need on a daily basis, and the ability to have a negative contrast is pretty much crucial for me to be able to work on my system.

In any case, there is a LOT to look forward to in the future of Linux accessibility. I am so excited that I get to play even a minuscule part in it, and I am just so excited to see what the future holds.

I am glad that the information in my previous message was helpful to you. I am definitely no guru, but if there is anything that I can do to be of help to you, please e-mail me off-list. That goes for anyone else as well. I do not mind off-list contacts.

Take care, Al, and all the best.