Re: [orca-list] is there a need for anti virus and or anti spyware programs in ubuntu linux?

Hi trahern,

Generally speaking Linux operating systems do not require antivirus
software or antispyware software because the way the operating system
is designed. That isn't to say that Linux isn't  open to those kinds
of attacks, but that they are much less likely on Linux than an OS
like Windows. In general as long as you keep your Linux system up to
date with critical security patches, don't regularly use the root
account, configure your firewall to block unwanted incoming and
outgoing traffic, you use a strong password, you should be good to go.

The thing about Linux is the security is only as good as the user who
manages the system. If you, for example, give your root account a very
week password then don't be surprised if someone comes along and
cracks it with a brute force attack. In a case like that the week
security wouldn't be linux's fault but yours. Same could be said for
viruses or spyware. As long as you install software from trusted
sources such as the distribution's own  repository you are extremely
unlikely to get either a virus, worm, or spyware. If you downloaded
and install software from somewhere else then you might run the risk
of getting software that has some malware in it. So security here is
what you make it.

That said, I've been using Linux operating systems for about 14 years,
and have never had a virus or any spyware installed on it. I'd trust
Linux far more than I would Microsoft Windows, and the key to that
success is simply being a smart Linux user and following good security
practices like using a strong password, configuring a firewall,
obtaining software from trusted software repositories, and installing
security patches as soon as they become available.

Cheers!