Re: [orca-list] screen layout

Dave Hunt <ka1cey gmail com> wrote:
Reformatting pages is not in orca's design.  This sort of thing is
best handled by browser extension(s), or style sheets.

I agree that's where it is best handled. Since I don't need this
functionality, I haven't looked at the available extensions.

If somebody does look at them, perhaps this could be documented on the wiki,
since this question is becoming "frequently asked".

Javascript can manipulate the document in complex ways, and some browsers
support XSLT as well, so there is no shortage of tools for doing what is
desired. If existing extensions aren't up to it, I think this would be best
written by someone who needs lists of links and other such transformations.

If this were implemented in Orca, what would most likely happen next is that
somebody would run it on a large page with lots of links (or headings or
whatever is being listed), and then complain about the lack of performance. A
much better solution is to write it in Javascript, run it in the browser where
it is much faster and take advantage of all the work which is being devoted to
optimizing Javascript interpreters.