Re: [orca-list] frequent switching languages

++ for lang attributes on HTML tags

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 12:09:31PM -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
Albert Sten-Clanton writes:
... my wife would like to have speech output
that would switch between English and Russian as needed on a site on which
there are things in each language.  In one of the Live Journal communities,
for example, somebody will ask in English about something they then put in
Russian.  Would you be able to read only one of these at a time using Orca?

I'm uncertain whether Orca does this yet. However, Orca should and we
should expect this will become possible at some point, if it isn't
already possible.

On the other hand, please recognize that there's a "chicken and egg"
kind of problem here. In order for Orca to programatically determine
language correctly, the document's markup should use available markup
tags to clearly indicate:

1.)   The document's primary language
2.)   Inline language changes--identifying which language, and where
this begins and ends.

This kind of markup has been available for a very long time, but seems
infrequently used. Is it used in the content you're interested in?

I am interested in pushing pages commonly used by blind individuals,
e.g. http://nlsbard.loc.gov, to adopt proper markup for this.
Regretably, NLS markup leaves much to be desired in this, and other
respects to date.

Janina

Thanks.

Al