Re: [orca-list] orca ATSPI error - someone help

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 09:05:34PM -0800, Justin Harford wrote:
In starting a new with ubuntu 11.10, I made a vow that I would stay out of trouble, but I swear trouble
seems to follow me wherever I go. lol

My orca still continues to be out of commission ever since the thunderbird affair, and it is giving the
following output:

blindstein blindstein-AOD257:~$ orca
ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for Atspi
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/orca/orca.py", line 49, in <module>
    import pyatspi
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyatspi/__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
    from gi.repository import Atspi
ImportError: cannot import name Atspi
blindstein blindstein-AOD257:~$ orca

What can I do about this? Would compiling orca again fix the problem?

almost certainly not, it would appear something is wrong with your
installation of at-spi2 / libatspi.  To be particular the typelib for
python introspection (Atspi-2.0.typelib and Atspi-2.0.gir) either isn't where it will be looked for by default
in which case you need to set GI_TYPELIB_PATH to include the directory
where it is, or the typelib isn't present on your system at all in which
case you need to install it.

Trev

Regards
Justin Harford