Re: [orca-list] Fwd: Re: check this out

To answer the question of why we have Sonar and Vinux, we need to take a step back and ask also why we have Debian, GRML, Knoppix/Adriane, Ubuntu, Trisquel, Linux Mint, all the other Ubuntu remixes, Fedora, Gentoo, Arch, Slackware and all kinds of other Linux distros. Would it not be better if they all merged, especially all the Debian/Ubuntu derivatives, and gave us a single distro to work with instead of all the duplicated efforts? It seems to me that some of the same people who are having problems with the release of a new blind-friendly Linux distro have already written off Vinux as a lost cause/dead project. I really hope I'm wrong about this, but this is my observation so far.

Also, it makes sense to have Sonar as a choice, because it offers GNOME classic and gnome-shell based on the image that is downloaded rather than using Unity2d, which is in fact dead upstream, and will certainly not be included in Ubuntu 12.10 or any later version of Ubuntu. Also, Vinux focuses on the Ubuntu LTS releases mostly, so Sonar also fills in the gap in the release cycle, as it has been confirmed that the next Sonar release will take place within a couple of weeks of the Ubuntu 12.10 release. Yes, a merger can be good, but in this case, is it really the best possible solution? This is just my opinion, but I do think there is room for another choice in this situation.
~Kyle