Re: [orca-list] Fwd: Re: check this out

Krishnakant Mane <krmane gmail com> wrote:
+1 from me,
I am sure such a merger could have only strengthened the work of Vinux.
Indeed in FOSS every one gets credit for their work so that also
wasn't an issue.
I wonder why this keeps happening, first the isolated attempt by an
oranization called CDAC in India which is of no practical use IMHO,
and now this one.

I don't know. Usually, though, people try to cooperate with existing projects
before starting their own, unless there is nothing already available with
similar goals.

On the other hand, a Linux distribution isn't hard to create if you're taking
an existing one as your starting point, so the barrier to entry is very low.

I've been using Linux since the late 90s; distributions have come and gone,
risen and fallen over that time. I expect this will be the case for as long as
free and open-source operating systems exist. The distributions that last
typically do so by having a strong community, a strong organization behind
them (for example a company that sells services and support) or both.