Re: [orca-list] Needing to Upgrade Orca

If you have a system running Gnome 2.32 which is about what you get with any ubuntu before 11.10, the best you can hope for is Orca 3.2xdesktop.  The most painless way for you to install it is if you activate the Vinux ppa, update your packages and then try and install it from there.  I'm sorry but, this is the best I can do.  You say you run Ubuntu but you don't say what version.  That sort of thing matters since different versions will run different versions of Gnome.  A lot has happened in the last 18 months or so.  There is a sharp demarcation between the Gnome 2 distributions and the ones running Gnome 3.  You have to use a whole different set of Orca and accessibility packages with Gnome 3 and up since they infrastructure for making apps accessible underwent some changes.   I hope this helps.

Alex M