[orca-list] problems starting orca in gnome 3

Hi out there.  Gentoo finally upgraded to gnome3 and I am trying to see
if I can get orca to work.  I installed the latest versions of
at-spi2-core and at-spi2-core-atk from the gnome git repository.  Then I
got  orca from master.

After compiling and installing all 3, gnome has problems starting.  I am
using --prefix=/usr in all compiles and all the Makefiles have it, but
orca keeps giving me the following error:
** (orca:19372): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute program
/usr/local/libexec/at-spi-bus-launcher: Success
Not sure why this is happening.  I tried the experiment of a symbolic
link from /usr/local/libexec to /usr/libexec, and then it said  empty
address for the dbus address.  I am having to use startx rather than gdm
-- gdm just gives a black screen with an hour glass.

OK, so how can I get this going?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

How do
you spend it?