Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 12.04 safe to install on a real partition?

Alan Bell <alanbell ubuntu com> wrote:
depends on what you would say if it breaks:

If you would say "gosh, that is interesting, I wonder why that
happened?" - install it now!

If you would say "argh, all my important stuff is gone, my life is
ruined!!!" - wait for the release

I did see some people today talking about grub problems in the daily
updates, so don't be fooled by thinking that just because a release
is soon doesn't mean it can't become unbootable.

Also, if you know how to administer a Linux system, how to solve problems
independently and how to maintain good backups, then you can consider testing
unstable or pre-release distributions.

I've never had to re-install a Linux system due to a software issue. I've had
an unbootable system on several occasions as a result of testing
packages that turned out to have serious bugs, but I've always been able to
work my way out of such problems.

If you're not comfortable with Linux system administration, then I'd suggest
enhancing your skills before helping the community with software testing. That
way, you'll have a much more rewarding and less frustrating experience, while
providing more valuable and accurate bug reports.