Re: [orca-list] Orca's "xdesktop" branch

Hi Alex.

I've a question brought on by your allusion to any distro that has a
fully accessible QT or xfce package.  Do you know of such a distro off
hand?

Future versions of all the main distros. <smiles> In other words, the
accessible XFCE will be version 4.10. That should be coming out before
too terribly long, but it's not out yet. I need to see where Qt
accessibility support is (in terms of version number), but surely the
next major release of Qt will have quite a bit of that support in place.
With this in mind....

Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, and I believe Arch all have repositories which
contain GNOME 3, KDE, and XFCE, along with all the major toolkits. This
means that you can install the desktop environment(s) of your choice,
and the package manager will install all the needed dependencies
required to run each of the desktop environments you choose to install.
Ditto for apps.

 Such a setup would be awesome.  I thought you still had to
manually do all thaqt legwork and would wind up with a crashy and
buggy setup.  Has this changed?

Yes and no. Today you still have to do quite a bit of the legwork you
mentioned. But given the traditional release cycles of the desktop
environments and distros, the next major releases (e.g. Fedora 17,
Persnickety Porcupine, etc.) should have all the needed stuff. And, yes,
it will indeed be awesome. <smiles>

Hope this answers your questions.

Take care.
--joanie