Re: [orca-list] speech-dispatcher archlinux

I've never gotten anyh trace backs from the python parts of speech
dispatcher on my Arch system.  From other sounds in your message
however, it makes me wonder if speech dispatcher is actually running
properly on your system.

Backing up a bit, can you do 'spd-say and some text to see if you get
any speech?  The next thing is you might be hampered by the default
use of Pulse Audio.  Gnome 3 now requires Pulse by default. If this be
your problem, be sure that every line in /etc/asound.conf is commented
out.  This will thwart Pulse from taking over your ALSA stuff.  Also
make sure Speechd is using ALSA or libao for its output method.  I
forget right now if the speech-dispatcher-git package uses alsa or
libao; I have it as libao on my mahine.  Also, a default.pa should be
placed in your .pulse directory and the .pulse directory of every
other user on your system that would use Orca such as gdm.  I can send
you that default.pa file if you don't already have it.  I got mine
originally from Halim who posted the thing to this list some while
back.  I frankly don't know enough about Pulse to explain what exactly
tis file is configured to do but when in place along with commenting
out all the asound.conf file, you should be able to use speech
dispatcher as a central system service and thus use Orca and still be
able to use espeakup for Speakup.

Hope this all makes sense.  This pulse audio stuff in combination with
speakup and all has made Linux accessibility with software speech much
more complicated now than it used to be.