Re: [orca-list] Linux PC as a router

Hi Glenn,

I'd advise you move away from Ubuntu/Debian for the router/firewall. Also, do make sure that the system has 2 different NiCS. A NiC is network interface card or ethernet jack. It will be needed since the router will be pulling double duty. It will be connecting to the outside world with an external IP address and assigning internal IPs to the other systems on your LAN. It will serve as a dhcp server. If you decide to go this route, make sure that you have a few 100-1000 mbps network switches if possible.

The only 2 packages I've heard of that work for a router/firewall that are usable more or less are Smoothwall and IPCop. I'm unsure how friendly the browser interfaces are, but you will need sighted assistance to install either of them. I'd also advise you upgrade the ram to at least 512 or 768 mb to have either of the packages run well. Why not get an actual router such as a DLink, Linksys, or Netgear? Do you have enough LAN traffic to make it worth turning a pc system into your main router?