[orca-list] Is anyone using Orca with Emacspeak? And does speech-dispatcher support hardware synths?

Apologies for being very late to this thread.
Joanmarie Diggs writes:
Whether or not this support is even still functional is
something I need to investigate.
It's functional, although I had to hack  the location of the
emacspeak server which didn't seem to be customizable and didn't match
my location.
I'm predominantly an emacspeak user with orca for tasks I can't do
under emacs (about 10% of each day).  Getting them to work together
was a priority for me.  Last time I tried the voxin server under
speechdispatcher was using OSS and I couldn't get it to play nicely
with emacspeak.  I now use the emacspeak alsa server for both orca and
emacspeak and things work pretty well. presumably I'm behind the curve
on developments in other speech servers.
As others noted later using the right script you can shut orca up for
the emacsclient window and happily run emacsclient and (for example)
firefox under gnome allowing convenient  cut&paste.
Having said all that, this entire arrangement hangs by a thread
because it needs 32-bit versions of things like tclsh (and related
libraries) on my 64-bit system.  It's probably reasons like that which
stop most people from getting this to work.
Although I'll miss it, I would also suggest dropping emacspeak server support provided
there's some solution that works with alsa or other sound systems that
share devices.
cheers and a public thanks to all who keep orca going
Peter

--
Peter Rayner
room 330