[orca-list] Accessible labels in editable fields

Hi listers,

Using Lua and the graphical library IUP, I have created a dialog with some buttons and fields. In Linux, IUP is an abstraction of GTK driver, so it's entirely compatible with Orca.

Buttons, lists, radio buttons, menus, combos are all satisfactorily read. However, I have some problem with editable fields.

When I focuse on a editable field, Orca says "edit", but it doesn't read the respective label placed on the left.

As As far as I know, screen readers, in Linux or in Windows, doesn't read automatically the labels when focusing a editable field. The solution in Windows seems to be MSAA and in Linux ATK.

Perhaps, the solution for my problem is ATK. I don't know where ATK routines are placed. Perhaps, ATK is a set of dynamic libraries and I need to call its functions like a DLL in Windows or a SO in Linux.

I don't know. Even the most basic principles of ATK are unknown for me. I presume I don't need a deep knowledge of ATK. What I want to do is only to become readable a label, when focusing a editable field. So I ask when can I get information how to do this specific routine? This is the single change I need to do in order to make my dialogs accessible.

Well, the first approach is really ATK. However, depending on Orca features, perhaps, ATK is not required. With JAWS, if a label is not read, we can open a options dialog and configure a custom label. Having saved this label, JAWS is able to interprete correctly the relationship between the editable field and its label. Has Orca something like that? Can we label fields, storing these definitions in a script file. If the answer is "yes", when an application is developed, to make it accessible, perhaps, in the pack, a Orca script file can be reliesed, assuring the desirable accessiblity.

What do you suggest to whom wants to develop applications in Linux with accessible editable fields?

I have never studied something about ATK, but I heard it can be a possible way. Regarding I want only to make an editable field accessible, I wish the simpler solution.

Regards,

Luciano