Re: [orca-list] netbeans accessibility

Hello,
My answer is that it potentially could be good but there is a big limitation, orca responds painfully slow with it when I have tried it in the past.

Why I say that it potentially could be good is that when I have tried it with orca and waited around for orca to respond it does seem to read things reasonably well and also when I have tried netbeans with screen readers on other platforms some of them did seem reasonably good. As I said orca is painfully slow to respond in netbeans, as memory goes in some cases more than a minute, so that alone makes netbeans not really practical for use.

As a side note, I think netbeans uses java swing for the user interface, therefore you either need the java access bridge or java atk wrapper installed. I don't know whether this contributes to the slow response by orca as it is bridging to another accessibility API.

You asked whether anyone is working on this, the answer is sort of, have a look at the sodbeans http://sodbeans.sf.net project.I say sort of as it doesn't seem like they are solving the issue by correcting the existing tools, but rather creating a plugin to make netbeans accessible (looks like by making netbeans self voicing, I don't know whether when they say about it make it work with screen readers whether they mean just use the screen reader for speech output like firevox plugin did with orca, IE. whether using any of their stuff will allow one to work with netbeans using a Braille display).

At the moment I would say the best accessible IDE for java and python is eclipse. Look at the pydev plugin for python support.

I know some sighted people have said to me that they prefer netbeans, so I know why you may want to try it out.

Hope some of that is useful.

Michael Whapples