Re: [orca-list] reading mail in thunderbird

I don't wanna write a tutorial on Thunderbird here but Part of your
answers will depend on which version you're using.  There are some
focus issues depending on which version you use.

But for basic operation, it works pretty much like other windows based
applications.  Once you have created and set up your accounts, then
you will have a tree table of the accounts and rss feeds and whatever
you have added.  When the cursor is on the account you want to work,
then press right arrow to open the collapsed node.  under here you
should see the different folders like inbox, sent messages and other
folders you may have created.  I have several folders in here because
I use IMAP for all my mail services.  Once you have selected the foler
you want to open, tab once and you should land on the list of
messages.  From here, you can hit enter on the message you want to
read.  I usually make sure thunderbird is configured to open messages
in a new window.  With this setting, you can then press ctrl-w to
close the window and you should automatically go back to your message
list.  Just arrow up and down the list to pick messages.  Orca will
speak when messages are marked unread.

That should be a good starter.  Just look around the menus and you
will learn other shortcuts and more efficient ways to get around in
this program.  I would say that Thunderbird is a pretty decent program
now and Orca performs well enough to use it effectively.