Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 11.10 & Gnome

Vinux 3.1 is based on Ubuntu 10.10 and Vinux 3.2.1 is based on Ubuntu
11.04. There's an experimental vinux 3.3 being worked on, which is in
alpha and based on Ubuntu 11.10 and the plan is that Vinux 4.0 will be
based on Ubuntu 12.04. Vinux 4.0 will be the next LTS release, just as
Vinux 3.0.1 was the last and current LTS release based on Ubuntu 10.04.

It's not true that Vinux never went beyond 10.04, although just as
Ubuntu 10.04 is the last and current Ubuntu LTS, vinux 3.0.1 is the last
and current Vinux LTS.

Right now, the plan is that Vinux 4.0 will use Unity as it's desktop.
Plans can always change though, and if anyone wants to participate in
Vinux development and influence the desktop that will be used in Vinux
4.0 or any other release of Vinux, I'd encourage people to check out the
Vinux project web site at http://vinuxproject.org/ and join in. I would
also expect there to be some Vinux developers looking into some desktop
alternatives in parallel with the Vinux 4.0 and Unity work.

I'd also encourage people to join the Ubuntu accessibility community and
help make Unity as accessible as it can be. I don't consider Unity to be
crap, and I'm hoping it becomes a viable accessible desktop. In fact, I
don't consider any desktop to be crap, and I'd like to see as many
accessible options as possible, although like others, I worry about
fragmentation. The fact of the matter is though that personal computing
is changing, and we can't expect desktops to stand still. It'll be
interesting to see what the desktop landscape looks like in a few years.