[orca-list] Easy-ocr-3.0 Released

Dear list,

We are most happy to release easy-ocr-3.0 with advanced options. Now we have included folder option so that any body can use any operating system or any scanning program to create images and then use easy-ocr to convert the image into text we have also addressed the problem in installing and uninstalling and necessary changes are made also  now easy-ocr will function in the 64bit  system. and lot of new features are added. easy-ocr is made as user friendly as possible and we request your suggestions to make it more friendly please go through the user guide given below

Download from here http://code.google.com/p/easy-ocr/

Special features easy-ocr 3.0.
1. the most important feature of this release is the from folder option. now we can use any scanning programme or any operating system to produce the images and use easy-ocr to convert it in to text.
2. auto rotation is made possible and is strengthened  to a higher level for all 24 languages given at the end.
3. programme is made more powerful by avoiding the temp file and now the file in the document will be read aloud.
4. now one can and append to an old file. if one use the already existing file, it will not be replaced but will be appended.
5the problem with uninstalling easy-ocr has been addressed and one can uninstall the programme without harming the o.p.t file.
6. this time we have done away with the second engine in order to facilitate future development.
7. for the sake of portability, we have not assigned any shortcuts. however, assigning shortcuts will make the programme very easy to use.

User guide.

1. setting the scanner.One can use easy-ocr in two ways. first one is to scan and produce text from the programme itself and second one is to produce the text from the folder containing image.
in order to start scanning using the programme, please follow the steps given below.
1. setting the scanner. go to other menu and select settings and enter. then the scanner will be detected and you will have to set the duration between the repeated scanning, resolution, brightness or threshold, language.once you have completed the settings, the values you have entered will be read aloud.
2. now go to easy-ocr(or other) menu and select either scan or scan with full auto rotation.
in the scan mode, the programme will ask for the file name. after entering the filename select OK and then you have to select the rotation mode. if you are sure of the angle in witch you have kept the book , select the manual mode and check the degree of rotation.
if you are not sure of the angle, please select the automatic mode and scanning will be done in order to determine the rotation needed. then the rotation selected will be kept and you have to start from the first page itself.be careful not to change the angle kept in the beginning.
after each scanning, the page number will be announced and after hearing one, you can press add button and start reading along with scanning.
if you are totally unaware of the angle in witch the papers are kept, you can select full auto rotation mode. here also after hearing one, you can start reading by pressing add button.
the text produced by these two modes will be saved in documents unless you change the directory.
if you are in need of continuing the file, you can select the same file and the text will be appended to the old one.

from folder.

now one can convert images saved in the folders in to text by using the folder option.if you are not in a position to use the easy-ocr, you can use any scanning programme to produce the images.
this option will support png, jpeg, jpg, tiff, tif, pnm, pdf formats. select the folder option and enter. now you will have to select the folder, format of the image,rotation mode, saving folder.etc.
if you are sure of the angle in witch the images are kept you can select manual mode, and if you are not sure of the angle, you can select automatic mode. in the automatic mode,all the images will be converted, as in the angle of the first image.
in the full auto rotation mode, we are not to be concerned of the angles.

audio conversion.

there is facility for converting text in to wav files.
just enter the audio conversion mode and select the folder containing the text to be converted and give the values in the window shone.
stop scan.
one can stop all scanning process by entering the stop scan.

Easy-ocr support 24 languages.

These include English, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, mixed Russian-English, Spanish, Swedish, Serbian, Slovenian, Turkish, and Ukrainian.

EASY-OCR is made as user friendly as possible. you can make it more friendly through your suggestions. please contact the following emails. sath linux gmail com and nalin4linux77 gmail com

Home page http://code.google.com/p/easy-ocr/

Please send suggestion and problems to nalin4linux77 gmail com