Re: [orca-list] Installing ubuntu desktop- I Give Up! (fwd)

Greetings!

The problems in the message you forwarded sound a good deal like ones I had.
I don't know what might work with a Ubuntu live CD, which I'd like to so I
could play with the Unity desktop.  I did get Vinux 3.1 to work, though,
thanks to the Vinux quickstart guide:

http://vinuxproject.org/getting-started-

  In particular, using the volume_keys command described in the section
about troubleshooting sound problems got me a talking Vinux.

I also note that I did not have sound after actually installing Vinux 3.1 on
my hard drive:  the sound settings that volume_keys allowed me to get didn't
carry over.  I used the instructions for storing the state of the sound card
found at

<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_for_the_blind>

With a change or two relevant to my then-new Vinux installation.  It worked.

Hope this is useful.

Al