[orca-list] Navigation sllower with orca and Ubuntu

Hello listers,

Few weeks ago, I left Windows and started my adventure in the Linux's wolrd. Ubuntu is a very good system and orca, a powerful screen reader.

Despite this success, I also found some problems. Having recently bought a new computer, with threee cores, running under 3,26 GHZ and 4GB of RAM memory, I expected much more speed.

Firstly, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 in dual boot with Windows 7. In spite of the fact everyone says Linux is faster, in my particular case, Windows 7 with NVDA is significantly faster than Ubuntu and Orca.

In Nautilus, the navigation is not possible when a large ammount of items is displayed. PCman is a file manager more efficient, but in comparison to Windows Explorer, it is still too sllow.

In Thunderbird, a similar issue rises. If a large ammount of items is shown in the inbox, by means of Orca, the navigation is a heavy burden.

A pattern can be recognized: always when the big collections of items comes up, the navigation with Orca is difficult. However, that's not all. Even if there's no large lists, the speed of navigation is meaningly sllower than Windows's speed.

I am happy with my choice and I don't intend to install Windows anymore. Orca is really much better I previously supposed. But, it would be pleasant to receive news saying the new upgraded system or the new upgraded Orca could reduce these difficulties. Could we expect good news?

best regards,

Luciano de Souza