[orca-list] problems starting orca on FC13

Thanks for the help on building at-spi, now I've graduated to the next
hurdle.
I'm trying to start orca on my new machine the same way I do on my
current one.  Here's the sequence
1) reboot
2) start a console session on VC1 running emacspeak
3) start another console session on vc2
4) run startx
note that I don't have orca configured to come up automatically
5) return to vc1
6) In an emacspeak shell window run
orca --version which gives
orca 2.32 pre (the version from the git master branch I hope)
orca -t now yields the following
orca -t
Welcome to Orca setup.
Enable echo by word?  Enter y or n: y
Enable key echo?  Enter y or n: n
Select desired keyboard layout.
1. Desktop
2. Laptop
Enter choice: 2
Enable Braille?  Enter y or n: n
Enable Braille Monitor?  Enter y or n: n
Automatically start orca when you log in?  Enter y or n: y
Setup complete.  Press Return to continue.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 2207, in main
    init(pyatspi.Registry)
  File "/usr/local/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 1620, in init
    registry.registerEventListener(_onChildrenChanged,
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/pyatspi/registry.py", line 331, in __getattribute__
    raise RuntimeError('Could not find or activate registry')
RuntimeError: Could not find or activate registry
The only other potentially useful thing I can add is that the version
of at-spi-registryd is the prebuilt one from /usr/libexec (vrom the
package at-spi-30.2) rather than the one I built from its repository
which is in /usr/local/libexec.
I'd be grateful for any solutions or pointers to further debugging.
thanks in advance
Peter

--
I HAVE MOVED. Note new contact details: