[orca-list] Linux, Grub, and virus?

Hi,
Forgive this being off-topic, but I cannot send messages to the Ubuntu list
for some reason.
I have a laptop that is set up as dual-boot, Ubuntu and Windows XP.
I seem to have a virus which knocks out my desktop completely in windows.
I have recovered on a few start-ups, but when I reboot, it comes back.
I suspect that it is residing in the boot partition, because it takes about
3 to 5 minutes to get to the grub boot menu.
Or maybe it is in my BIOS, which I don't look forward to, as I went to the
manufacturer's site and could not find my model or the BIOS downloads.
* I am wondering if I can clean the boot partition by running "update-grub"
in Linux (Ubuntu 10.04), or if I need to do something like removing the boot
partition, /dev/sda0 and install grub to have it recreated, if it will do
that.
I went into terminal and under sudo, I could not find /dev/sda0.
I ran sudo update-grub, and it seemed to do that, but it did not fix the
problem.
This is grub 2.0, which came with Ubuntu.
How many files should be in the boot partition, and how is the best way to
access it in Ubuntu?

Thanks for any ideas.
Glenn