[orca-list] What's standard? was: Re: date and time keybindings

Just one question I get from your message, what determines if it is a standard? We probably all could agree that things like mathml, SSML, java EE, etc are all standards. Is something done by one of many companies/organisations a standard (eg. jaws keybindings), probably not, at best just a standard specific to that company. Then there is the middle ground where a number of companies do something but there is no formally agreed standard (eg. I think most screen readers use h/shift+h for moving by headings).

In the first case we probably should try and follow the relevant formal standards where possible as this will lead to the greatest compatibility. I would say the other two cases we should do this when there are other independent good reasons for following (eg. on the merits of the idea it makes sense to do it that way, h/shift+h seems logical for heading) or we work so closely to the other group it makes sense we follow their standard (eg. if there is a standard in gnome for doing something then try and follow it).

Applying this back to the specific thing startig this: orca+f12 doesn't seem to have any stand alone reason for being date and time, it will negatively impact current users by shuffling the orca/gecko caret control. Orca+t logically fits with other orca keybindings (orca+h for learn mode or key help, orca+b bookmark, etc) and it doesn't mean having to move an existing keybinding. The double tap for date makes sense when compared with the flat review keys, more taps more detail. The only down side might be its one more keybinding for some users to learn when they move to Linux and orca (NOTE: this is only some as numpad0+f12 is not used by all screen readers). The transition period is quite short compared to the rest of the time using a computer and if the user is a little unsure then they can use learn mode to try a few.

Just my thoughts.

Michael Whapples