Re: [orca-list] Orca Magnifier Problems

Hey Will,

Unfortunately I ended up flattening that box and installing Windows 7 back on it and am using ZoomText.  It's my work computer and so productivity ended up trumping preference of operating system.  However, when I get some time I'll boot a live CD and do some testing.

I will tell you what I can remember off the top of my head- but I am a programmer and know that's pretty useless to you for the most part.  Hopefully something will stick...

As far as applications, I had the most trouble in Firefox.  I also experienced it in other applications, such as gnome-terminal.  Unfortunately I couldn't give you  a failing use case, it did seem quite sparatic.  One incident that I wish I could reproduce was that killing firefox resolved the problem in gnome-terminal.  Starting firefox back up made gnome-terminal lose it again.  I thought I was imagining things at first....

I was using a laptop keyboard layout- not really sure what the difference is between them are- I didn't really care too much since I didn't use the keyboard for anything orca-related, just set the magnifier settings the first time and didn't muck with it anymore.  I tried blanking out all the keyboard shortcuts in the Preferences, but that didn't change anything as far as it breaking.

As far as which keys... I'm kicking myself because I meant to document this as best I could.  Unfortunately, the whole having to do work at work kinda got int he way.  I will say that I remember the same keys being the problem repeatedly, but that it wasn't 100% the same 100% of the time, that certain keys would work when usually they didn't when the state was reached and vice-versa.

There was one other behavior of note that I recall happening twice, maybe three times:  I had firefox open and gnome-terminal open above it.  Above is important because when I hit the P key which often didn't work, firefox closed or crashed (not really sure which) and keyboard resumed normal function in gnome-terminal.

Needless to say, its behavior is rather strange.  Maybe the laptop is just cursed.

Hope this helps more than it muddies the waters...
Andrew