Re: [orca-list] trouble with web-site

>Message: 3
>Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 07:22:47 -0700
>From: Steve Holmes <steve holmes88 gmail com>
>To: orca-list gnome org
>Subject: Re: [orca-list] trouble with web-site
>
>OK, I went to the URL you gave and in my case, Firefox 3.5.9 was used
>but I did observe a similar situation.  Frankly, I've never seen this
>kind of thing happen before.  My cursor didn't get stuck or sent back
>to the top,  but the day labels would start speaking over and over
>again at given points.  For the most part, I was reading down line by
>line and the stuff would staart talking like that but as soon as I
>pressed an arrow key, that repeted speech would stop and I could
>continue reading.  For your caret sticking, I'd still look at the
>"Focus grabbing" option in Orca as I described in my last message and
>make sure it is unchecked for FF 3.6 and above.

Thanks for taking a look at this.  I hadn't tried going line-by-line, at least it gives me an option until I get the read-all worked out.

As far as the firefox orca settings, I forgot about the "grab focus on objects when navigating" issue between firefox5 and firefox6.  I doublechecked and it's turned off.

If it makes any difference the settings on the firefox tab of the orca prefferances dialog are as follows:

"use orca carrot navigation" checked
"use orca structural navigation" checked
"grab focus on objects when navigating" disabled
"position cursor at start of line when navigating vertically" checked
"automatically start speaking a page when it is first loaded" disabled

>The one thing I did notice however, might have something to do with
>live regions.  I was sitting there for a moment doing nothing and all
>of a sudden, the day labels started speaking again; it was almost if
>they are being continuously refreshed like a scoreboard or something.
>I'll bet that auto refreshing effect may be causing the repeating
>speech we're running into on this site.

I tried an experiment.  I loaded in the page then turned off the internet.  i was thinking if the page remained disconnected, it wouldn't update with new comments and orca could read all the way through without interuption.  Unfortunately, the time-stamps still updated themselves while off-line.

I don't have much expertise with live regions.  Is there a way to disable autorefresh somewhere?