Re: [orca-list] OpenTTS 0.1 released.

Halim Sahin napsal(a):
I agree that the fragmentation in a11y projects isn't fine but please
don't forget that brailcom didn't support speech-dispatcher last months.
You have resumed the work after opentts was started.

We worked on it gradually as our other commitments allowed us.

You call it minor improvments, I want to say fixing lots of mem leaks
should be done in every project so far.

Fixes were going to Luke's repo and we were merging them upstream.

Brailcom didn't offer a perspective when we asked this last year.

We did, see the mailing list.

You answer was
sent patches we will try to review these but don't know if this happens
this or next year  :-( .

Yes, because we can not promise what we don't for sure.

Due to stability problems in speechd 0.6.7 this wasn't acceptable.
I like the idea to merge the projects but brailcom should work together
with the other devs and don't let patches wait for a long time.

We offered a practical solution.  Unofficial releases could have been
made from Luke's repo.  This model would work and we would support it if
people want to be more ahead.  It would not break the project into two
branches which are impossible to merge due to unnecessary renaming
(which itself is a huge amount of wasted work which could have been used
much more efficiently).

I don't like the fact that in orca and other screenreaders we have now
several almost the same speech system.
These drivers must be maintained seperately and gives no improovement at
all.

Not talking about drivers to speech engines which now must be produced
and maintained in two similar versions, just using different
identifiers.  We still believe it is unnececcary and it can be avoided.
 It is always more complicated to cooperate and it requires effort and
respect on both sides.

Best regards,
Tomas Cerha,
Brailcom, o.p.s.