Re: [orca-list] rdiff-backup

Steve Holmes <steve holmes88 gmail com> wrote:
Try simple stuff to see if you can read and write the USB drive
directly, like copying files to and/or from the drive.  I'm also
thinking a normal user might not have write access to it.  If it were
me, I would run rdiff-backup as root anyway; that way you can backup
other import system files that are owned by root anyway.

You can write a shell script to run rsync or your favourite backup tool to
back up whatever files you want; it can run sudo to gain root privileges as
needed, prompting you for a password if that's what you want to do.

As to the USB drive, be sure to set appropriately the ownership and
permissions of the mount point (i.e., the directory on which you mount the
file system from the drive), and also the ownership and permissions of the
files on the drive itself.

This discussion is off-topic for the list, so I'll leave it there.