Re: [orca-list] Using Linux for everyday computing tasks and employment

On Friday 15 January 2010 03:02 AM, Peter Torpey wrote:
I never got anywhere near that many messages in my Inbox using Thunderbird
since I was only testing for system for a short while and not doing all of
my work there.  So, I don't know if what you are talking about is an Orca
issue or, more likely, some kind of memory limitation for memory/buffering
management problem.

Yes, seems to be some memory problem.

I have heard that even sighted users have some issues with Open Office and
trading word documents with other folks who use Microsoft Office.  They seem
to lose some formatting in the translation from one to another.  I thought
Open Office dealt more cleanly with these issues, but its hard to keep up
with the Microsoft changing specs.

Actually, it is not even that problem. Sun had done very good work in the past and still continues. Open office is the best thing and the way to get around the problems on mocrosoft office is to have same fonts in both the applications. I never like softwares where specs keep changing. It might also affect other things like accessibility. I am the "slow and stedy wins the race " kind of a person and would not like to upgrade things often unless there is a very good reason to do so.

Maybe someday I will switch to Linux full-time, but there are still some
commercial applications which I use for musical editing (such as Cakewalk's
Sonar and PG Music's Band-in-a-Box) on a Windows platform.

I have a few apps to, But that is mostly for compiling my softwares for windows users and I use a vertual machine inside ubuntu to run windows. I find windows extremly difficult and feel that I might break some thing in there.

> From my limited use of Linux, however, it is very snappy and fast to boot
compared with Windows.

I feel the no virus is a big insentive.

Happy hacking.