Re: [orca-list] knoppix adrian and graphical at start up automaticly?

Hello,
I don't know the answer to what you ask as I haven't installed knoppix to HD. Here are a few pointers.

Firstly, once you have the graphical desktop loading automatically then you can get orca to start orca automatically by going to the orca preferences and checking the checkbox for start orca automatically.

In general, Linux can be set to load to a text prompt or graphical user interface by setting the default init level. Now as this is a process which affects the booting of your computer I won't give instructions (I don't want to be held responsible for giving incorrect information which makes your system fail to boot) but you may wish to look at the man pages for init and inittab (commands:
man init
man inittab
), these should have the information or links to extra information if needed. I really would suggest trying the knoppix mailing list first as there may be a better knoppix specific way of doing what you want.

Another possible way to start the graphical interface automatically would be to add the command for starting X to a start up script. Again what you may do may depend on how the distro is set up. The debian package for gnome adds a script for GDM to the start up process automatically.

That brings me to the final suggestion, if you really want the graphical desktop automatically, may be switch to a system which does that by default (that might be the easiest for someone who doesn't want to deal with having to make this type of change). Also I mainly know knoppix as a LiveCD system, I am not sure how well it behaves as a hard disk installation.

Michael Whapples