Re: [orca-list] Can pulseaudio be made to work with consoles and Orca at the same time?

Hello,
I believe these "supposed security implications" are recognised by pulseaudio and the recommendation not to run as a system process is also in the pulseaudio documentation. Its this don't run as a system service which really puzzles me with pulseaudio, we're dealing with a system resource yet we're limiting it to a user resource, why? Nobody has ever given a good answer (I am not sure if anyone has attempted to answer) that question, and due to this it really adds complications to the audio system particularly when trying to do something as simple as having software speech output from orca and speakup, with no clear reason for it.

In my experience ALSA perfectly meets my needs, I have heard good things about OSS4 which should solve many of the issues with OSS3 (the lack of software mixing being an important one for us), so my advice would be steer clear of pulseaudio unless you enjoy problems.

Michael Whapples