Re: [orca-list] Making Ubuntu Software Center accessible

hank smith <hanksmith5 gmail com> wrote:
o what distro can do the things you mentioned currently?

Debian does quite well in these areas.

I installed it on my laptop with BRLTTY and a braille display, without any
difficulties, from the default installation media. The braille display was
detected, BRLTTY was loaded automatically and was even installed to the newly
created system without prompting.

For speech users, I understand there's a Speakup-enabled installation image
for Debian, but I'm not acquainted with the details.

The second query related to package upgrades. From the shell I type

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
and follow the prompts.

This is somewhat off-topic for the Orca list, but I do want to make the point
that Linux is, in fact, highly accessible; it's only the GUI desktops that
have accessibility issues, which are being addressed thanks to the commendable
efforts of Orca, Gnome accessibility and other developers as discussed in the
article recently published at LWN:
http://lwn.net/Articles/372935/