Re: [orca-list] OCR GUI?

On Friday 12 February 2010 02:04 PM, Jacob Schmude wrote:
Hi everyone
Well, I've had another look at Linux OCR and I must say I'm very
impressed. Tesseract in particular is loads better than when I tried it
over a year back, and imho good enough to use in almost all situations.
It's not failed me yet. At the moment, however, I do all my scanning and
OCR from the command-line. I don't mind this, but I'd like to set it up
for a friend of mine and that person would prefer a GUI. I have tried
gscan2pdf, but try as I might I cannot get it to produce any OCR output
no matter what settings I tell it to use. I thought perhaps the text
control where the OCR was displayed had some issues, but it turns out
that even when the PDF was saved and converted to text there's nothing.

Well, a few students whom I am mentoring are already into creating a kind of GUI upon kies_p2T.
We found ocropus pritty good and cuniform better as well.
Both of them give good results infact more than 90% accuracy.

We are building a pygtk based GUI which will give features similar to open book or other similar proprietory softwares.

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.