Re: [orca-list] orca and java applications?

Hello,
If you aren't familiar with compiling software from source then you may prefer to look at the ubuntu packages for the java access bridge libaccess-bridge-java and libaccess-bridge-java-jni (install both using your preferred package manager).

In addition you may find the following wiki page useful http://live.gnome.org/action/show/Java%20Access%20Bridge?action=show&redirect=Orca/JABG#details <http://live.gnome.org/action/show/Java%20Access%20Bridge?action=show&redirect=Orca/JABG#details>. You may need to do some of the stuff of copying files and creating a ~/.orbitrc.

Now some will say use java-atk-wrapper, yes I acknowledge that java-atk-wrapper is the future for java accessibility on gnome but if you aren't comfortable with compiling software then you are limited to what the distribution provides.

Follows is a couple of important notes on Java accessibility:
* The java access bridge or java-atk-wrapper are installed on a per JRE basis, so if you get a java application which reports to be inaccessible but other java applications work fine then check that the new one hasn't bundled a JVM with it. * If you upgrade your JVM then you probably will need to copy the files again to it, this is another result of it being installed on a per JVM. * There are two main toolkits used, java swing which requires the java access bridge or java-atk-wrapper, the other being SWT (eclipse uses SWT) and this actually doesn't need any java access bridge to be accessible.

Michael Whapples