Re: [orca-list] Navigating tables in Office Writer

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 01:24:31PM -0400, Chris Gilland wrote:
So, I guess then I'm kind a confused.  I've never heard of
structureal mode. Can you kind a explain to me aside from this what
other things it's used for and maybe point me where on the orca wiki
I can read specifically more about structure mode and how to use it
effectively?

I see structural navigation occurring in two situations presently.
When using the Gecko products like Firefox and Thunderbird, structural
navigation features are enabled by default and allow for using Orca
hotkeys to move around the document by various element types such as
links, form fields, buttons, text boxes, lists, etc.  I think there is
an option in the application-specific settings for Orca to turn this
off with a checkbox; I don't think there is a hotkey to do that -
can't remember for sure.

The other situation we have structural navigation for is in OOo where
tables can be navigated around in as we have been discussing in this
thread.  That is enabled with the Orca+z key; we need the hotkey to
turn this on and off because if left on, some of the typical keys used
for structural navigation elsewhere would be eated and not be typed
into your document.  However, I think the nav stuff is only known for
tables in OpenOffice right now.  Since we got the navigator to be more
accessible recently, Orca navigation wouldn't be needed to jump from
header to header or to the next table; that is included by OOo's
navigator already.  Although, future enhancements to Orca's structural
navigation might include the ability to jump to other widgets in a
document.

Hope this helps clear up things.