Re: [orca-list] voice profiles?

Hello.

I'd really like a feature like this, but I might take it a step further.
I notice that different speech synthesizers have their own pronunciation
quirks. Sometimes, if I make a tweak in one, it introduces
incompatibilities in other synths. As such, I might suggest having a
global pronunciation dictionary of some sort, then one for each voice
profile. This would also be compatible with the idea of using voice
profiles for different languages, as phoenetics are quite language-specific.

Also, I guess I'm one of those strange people who likes reading ebooks
more slowly using natural-sounding voices. I find that it helps me to
recall complex plot details better if I'm not reading at 400 WPM, and
while I can slow Espeak or another artificial voice down substantially,
I find listening to more synthetic speech at a slower rate quite
grating. Also, at high speeds I can digest huge, Robert Jordan-esque
novels in a bit over a day of constant reading, but I'd really rather
draw things out and enjoy the experience (which I can't really say I do
of RJ novels anymore, but that's neither here nor there. :)

Instead of having a voice specifically for "read all," though, I'd
rather just define an English voice profile with a more natural-sounding
voice at a slower rate, then manually switch to that when reading books.
I'd still prefer to read blogs and articles quickly, and would rather
explicitly swap profiles rather than having it automatically done for me
when I use read-all.