Re: [orca-list] Should Orca have a separate "reading" voice? (was: audio demo of Neospeech and Svox-Pico with Orca/speakup)

I believe the blind here fall into two camps, based on discussions on
the list.  The gruop I fall into prefers to hear all
text at a rapid rate, whether reading a novel or working in gnome
terminal.  I enjoy books much more when I can get them in my head
quickly.  Basically, I have no use for "natural" voices, other than to
impress friends.  I wouldn't switch voice modes back and forth.  This
group of people prefers to download e-books from or
other places, and to read them rapidly with a screen reader.

The second group, perhaps as large, enjoys books read at a natural
speed, at normal speaking rate.  This group prefers audio books from, and has has less use for  Opinions are
strong on both sides.

So, while I have no desire for such a feature, I suspect there are
others who will love it.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Joanmarie Diggs