[orca-list] orca setup on gentoo

Hello,
For those users running gentoo did you have to do anything special to
get orca going? I finally got gnome to go and it is working fine,
however when i start orca as a normal user to configure it i don't get
any feedback. I've logged in as the normal user and can run speakup
with espeakup and even yasr, i can also as the normal user play audio
files so i'm assuming whatever issue this is it is not a permissions
problem. When i run orca the orca window comes up, just no speech
feedback.
Thanks.
Dave.