Re: [orca-list] Announcing the OpenTTS project, a fork of speech-dispatcher

Hey congratulations luke.
This is a very very crutial and important move.
On Tuesday 13 April 2010 06:37 AM, Luke Yelavich wrote:
I am writing to announce a fork of speech-dispatcher, the open source text-to-speech framework, initially
developed by Brailcom as a part of the freebsoft project, http://www.freebsoft.org. The fork also includes
other important components of the speech stack, including speechd-up, the connector between speakup and
speech-dispatcher, and the speech-dispatcher java bindings. As you may have guessed from the subject, the
fork is now called OpenTTS. OpenTTS refers to both the speech server, API and documentation, as well as the
umbrella project as a whole. The other projects mentioned above have also been given new names, speechd-up is
now known as OSpeakup, and speechd-java is now known as OpenTTS-java.

Why Fork Speech Dispatcher and Related Projects?

One of the fundamental freedoms granted by the GPL is the freedom to publish one's modifications to the
source code of a software product.  Sometimes, such publication takes the form of a fork, in which the
modified product is developed separately from the original. In this case, we've chosen to make forks of
software initially produced by the Brailcom group. We'll describe our reasons for doing that below.

Yes indeed. This is why I always keep talking about the free as in freedom aspect, which to people like me is more important than issues like cost.
GPL indeed rocks and so do other similar licenses.
thanks to our digital freedom, I can surely see a bright future as a result of this move.
There certainly seems to be an active development coming up now.
Speech-dispatcher is already pritty stable.
and if we persist with its active community driven development, we might even go past the proprietory counterparts. There are projects like apache server which are superior and more industry standard only due to this free software community. I am so happy to know that sd and its related projects will be more active now.

Thanks luke again for this move.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.

Happy hacking.