Re: [orca-list] skim reading in orca

Instead of a skim reading feature similar to Jaws, IMO it would be
better to simply have navigation functions for previous/next paragraph
as in Firefox and Thunderbird. This could probably be much more easily
implemented as well, and doesn't require implementing a virtual viewer
or similar, since the navigation function would already jump the cursor
to the position of the text in question. Options in the preferences
window could then be added that would tell the navigation functions to
read the first line, the first sentence or the entire paragraph, at
which point, the reading is naturally interrupted the next time the key
is pressed. No summary is needed, no special viewer is needed, and it
could probably best be implemented on an application level, although
Orca implementation should also be possible.

I would take this opportunity to note that Jaws seems to have a rather
rich history of making things much more complex than they need to be in
order, in my opinion, to justify the extremely high price of the
software in combination with the rather high number of old bugs they
find "too hard" to fix.

Just my $0.02 for what it's worth,
Kyle

--