Re: [orca-list] Mobile phones, MP3 players, Linux and Orca

From: Jason White <jason jasonjgw net>
Subject: [orca-list] Mobile phones, MP3 players, Linux and Orca
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:14:51 +1100

I don't have a portable MP3 player, and I think I'm going to skip them
entirely and get a good Linux-based mobile phone instead, which will also be
able to serve as an MP3/OGG/FLACC player.

Maemo seems to be a relatively open Linux-based mobile phone operating system.
They've been using GTK+ until now, but plan to migrate to QT.
See http://lwn.net/Articles/356825/ for details.

But the fact is that right now is using GTK+, and the date of the
release of the next QT based device is unknown, but based in the
schedule times in older devices, at least more than a year. [1]

In the same way GTK+ has *now* the implementation of the ATK
interfaces (GAIL), and the additional mobile-oriented widget stack
based on GTK+, called Hildon [2], has now the implemenation of the ATK
interfaces (HAIL, an add-on to GAIL like Hildon is a add-on to GTK+).

Right now there is no a ATK equivalent to Qt, and probably a new
Hildon-like stack based on Qt will appear (so obviously, it has no
current support).

If, following the migration of ATK, AT-SPI and Orca to D-BUS, this is
compatible with the accessibility support provided by QT 4, it is possible
that Orca could be made to function in this environment. Input handling would
require some work, in that a mobile phone lacks a fully functional keyboard.

Well, although you can use the N900 with a virtual on-screen keyboard,
it has also a physical qwerty keyboard.

The other major contender is Android, which already has a range of
speech-based applications built on top of the same libraries that support the
corresponding GUI applications. I think Android is much closer to being a
good, accessible solution than anything based on other Linux environments.

Maemo has a long experience in migrate current, existing and tested
GNOME Desktop applications.

On the other hand, it is quite possible that Orca will find its way into
mobile phones at some point, although clearly the move toward QT complicates
this effort somewhat, and nobody has yet stepped forward to make it happen, as
far as I know.

As I said, IMHO, GTK+-Hildon can be still considered for the short-mid
term for accessibility support in mobile devices.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Tablet#Maemo
[2] http://maemo.gitorious.org/hildon

===
API (apinheiro igalia com)