Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:39:36 -0400
From: Janina Sajka <janina rednote net>
To: Erik Heil <eheil sdf lonestar org>
Cc: hank smith <hanksmith5 gmail com>, Orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] OT Orca, Skype and accessibility workaround

Erik Heil writes:
... As far as why Skype is being mentioned, that's simply because of
its popularity. Want a free alternative to Skype that has the same audio
quality? Well, then, perhaps GSM will do the trick.

I wouldn't use GSM and quality in the same breath, personally speaking.
Frankly, I haven't been impressed by Skype's audio quality at all the
several times I've listened to people coming into teleconferences over
Skype.

Similarly, forget h.323.

If you're after quality audio, well you'll want SIP and Free Switch
running uncompressed, if your network connectivity can support
it--48KHz/16bits. Or, CELT will also give you 48KHz/16 bits.  Then
there's  G.722 or even G.711, all much superior to GSM.

Janina

eheil sdf lonestar org