Re: [orca-list] New Pidgin and Orca

Hi,
Do you mean the 2.5.5 version?
I just compiled and ran it today. It seemed as accessible as the 2.5.2 one,
which comes with Ubuntu 8.10.
It's possible that Orca works slightly faster in it, but I'm not sure about
this. But as far as I have tested it, I can only encourage you to go ahead
and update as it certainly is not less accessible.

I updated because the ICQ plugin in 2.5.2 told me that it was too old and
advised me to switch to a newer version. Sadly enough, the ICQ Plugin still
tells me so even now after the update, but that's another story.

And as I am already speaking off topic...
To update (in Ubuntu), do this:

1) Remove the pre installed Pidgin from your system:
sudo apt-get remove pidgin
(this will also remove some pidgin-dependent applications, such as
pidgin-otr, which however I never used.

2) Download the latest Pidgin Source from
http://www.pidgin.im/download/source
and store them in a directory of your choice to which you do have access.
It'll give you the fle
pidgin-2.5.5.tar.bz2

3) install the build dependencies by doing
sudo apt-get build-dep pidgin

4) unpack the File you downloaded in Step 2:
tar xjvf pidgin-2.5.5.tar.bz2
This will create a directory
pidgin-2.5.5

5) Enter this directory:
cd pidgin-2.5.5

6) Now configure, make and install the thing by typing those three in
succession:
./configure
Make
Sudo make install

Note that the "make" command took forever on my machine, so you might want
to make sure to have a fresh cup of coffee waiting by the time you type it.

7) Well, if there were no errors on the way, you should be all set. Check it
out! It's still available in the "Applications > Internet" Menu.
To verify the version you're running, while in pidgin, enter the HELP menu
and open the ABOUT dialogue. If it says 2.5.5 you did it!

Find all this more detailed at
www.pidgin.im
And at
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Installing%20Pidgin