[orca-list] ot: gnome-speech, orca speech-dispatcher and alsa

hello,     orca list, this might be off topic, but i am not sure .
In any case, i've been playing with my sound settings and trying to get orca to respond faster, or try to get the best orca responce I can.
I have a couple questions.
1. if I use gnome-speech with the aoss rapper orca crashes a lot more, then if i use speech-dispatcher. I am using ubuntu 8.10, and am wondering if I could recompile gnome-speech with only alsa support, is this possible?
2. would i have to recompile espeak with alsa support?

sorry for all the stupid questions, I just want the best responce and the best flow with orca I can get.
Thanks Farhan