[orca-list] reading Pidgin notifications

Hello all,

I loaded up the Ubuntu live CD last night to install my preferred
distribution (Arch Linux) to my laptop as a second OS. One thing I
noticed is that orca read pidgin notifications automatically. However,
in arch this does not occur. I made sure to start the
notification-daemon in my .xinitrc, and installed the guifications
package containing Pidgin notifications. What is Ubuntu doing that stock
gnome 2.26 isn't?

Garrett