[orca-list] More Skype and Pidgin Issues

Hi folks,

I am stil having real trouble getting Skype to work on Ubuntu 8.10. I have not had a chance to try the Live CD option that Charlie suggested yet, as I need to bur a new copy. I will do this, but I can't imagine that the computer is the cause  because it is not even a year old. So here's the problem.

The Skype option does not seem to appear in Pidgin unless I install the Skype4pidgin.deb file - if I only install the libskype.so file it does not appear. So with skype4pidgin.deb installed I get a Skype option and a Skype D bus option - what is this please? When I set up my skype account, and I try to navigate the table with the contacts in - I know how many tab presses to make to accept the plugin, Pidgin just disappears.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no problem keeping Windows to use Skype, but it would be nice to have the choice.

Thanks

james