Re: [orca-list] .Skype directory

Hello,
I think others have answered your question about where to find .Skype,
but I will attempt to explain to you why your command failed to find it.

When a directory starts with a dot (.) it means that the directory
should be hidden. by default ls will not show hidden files. One way to
get ls to show all hidden folders is to use pattern matching (eg. you
could use the command ls .* which finds all files beginning with . and
containing any characters after the .). Alternatively you could use the
-a option for ls which will list all files (eg. ls -a). Another fact of
ls is that it is not recursive in its searching. By this I mean it will
only match patterns in the current directory. It also will list the
contents of directories which match the pattern. There are options to
alter this behaviour, as there are so many options to ls it might be
best for you to read the help message of ls (ie. ls --help).

However as ls is not recursive by default and actually checks the disc
you may find it slow to find a file (if you have no clue where it is on
the disc, for example doing:
cd /
ls -Ra | grep ".Skype"

will take some time and is likely to return a lot of results). You may
wish to look into locate which indexes the filesystem into a database
and uses the database. This is much faster but you do need to remember
to keep its database up to date by running locate with its update
option.

You were correct or not wrong in piping the output to less (using the
vertical bar (|)) this simply puts the output in an application where
you can scroll through at your leisure.

Michael Whapples
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 11:14 +0000, James & Nash wrote:
Hi

Where exactly can I find the .Skype directory please. I have tried ls
|less in the terminal but I couldn't find the .Skype directory. Any
pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
James