Re: [orca-list] OCR apps

I followed Daniel Dalton's ocr howto at

and it did make the scanning process easier and improved my results a little bit. I did have to take the --contrast option out of kies_scan because it wasn't recognized and therefore no scanning would take place with it included. Also, for debian unstable, sane-utils is needed in order to obtain scanimage, not just sane.

However, I'm still trying to see if there's any way to try out vuescan. I can access the tip of the day frame at startup--in fact, it's still coming up even though I unchecked the box to have it come up at startup. When I close the tip of the day frame, I come to a frame with the following elements that show on my braille display: scrollpane (one designation at each end), tablist, preview pane, panel. Using ctrl-tab will change so I see scan page instead of preview page and then it toggles back to preview page when I do ctrl-tab again. From what I read in the user's guide, the panel should be an options panel. Though I can access the various menus with f10, I haven't figured out a way to access the tabs in the options panel. Is there something else I should be doing with the tablist or scrollpane? Btw I can tet to the scan page or preview page areas, whichever is showing, by pressing the cursor routing button at the beginning of the word preview or scan and then pressing enter. However., I haven't figured out how to do anything in the panel itself.

Tia.

--
Cheryl